Become an Owner of an Incredible Local Business—the Marquette Food Co-op!
Everyone is welcome to shop at our Co-op—owner or not—and everyone is welcome to join.
Cooperatives cannot exist without owner/members. Members own their co-ops, which exist to provide products and services the members want. Joining a co-op means becoming an owner and a shareholder in the co-op’s future. As long as your account is paid in full (or you are actively making payments), your share does not expire. There might be a time in the future when the price of a Co-op share goes up. If this is the case, current owners may be asked to chip in the difference between what they paid when they joined and the current share price. However, in our Co-op’s entire history of 40+ years, the price of a share has only gone up a couple of times and current owners were not asked to contribute the difference. Oh, and did we say that Co-op owners with good account standing are eligible for a full refund on their share at any time for any reason? The most common reason that someone would ask for a refund on their share is because they are leaving the area and wish to purchase a share at a Co-op wherever they are moving.
The benefits of ownership are pretty persuasive…
- Knowing that you are part owner of a dynamic, local business that actively supports local producers and provides education in U.P. communities about environmental and food safety issues, sustainability, and the many advantages of locally-raised, natural, and organic food.
- Monthly sales just for owners.
- Special orders are 20% off regular price.
- Owner prices at classes and workshops hosted by the Co-op.
- Annual patronage rebate (based on the store’s profitability and board’s discretion).
- Standing invitation to our annual Harvest Potluck and the General Meeting of Owners where you have the opportunity to taste the best food in town.
- Voting privileges that give you a voice in your Co-op community.
- Opportunity to run for a seat on the Board of Directors.
- Full refund on your equity share (if in good standing) if you should choose to leave the Co-op.
Becoming an Owner is Easy…
Just stop in at our store and ask the friendly staff at the Customer Service Desk. They will answer any questions you may have and provide the application form for you to fill out. If you choose to pay the $150 equity share amount in full, you will receive a $5.00 gift card to the Co-op. If you choose to go with the 5/2 plan, you will be asked to pay $5.00 when you open your owner equity account. Each time you make a purchase at the Co-op you will be charged a $2.00 equity payment which goes towards the $150 equity share amount. Once you reach the $150 you will no longer be prompted to pay the $2.00. You must complete the 5/2 payment plan within two years of opening your account.